is provided by Tech Proven using robust monitoring and alerting solutions for all Systems with such applications as Nagios, and Open NMS.
Let us share with you why we use and recommend both of these powerful monitoring solutions within your environment.
Why Tech Proven uses and recommends Nagios
Nagios is a powerful monitoring system that enables organizations to identify and resolve IT infrastructure problems before they affect critical business processes.
Designed with scalability and flexibility in mind, Nagios gives you the peace of mind that comes from knowing your organization’s business processes won’t be affected by unknown outages.
Nagios is a powerful tool that provides you with instant awareness of your organization’s mission-critical IT infrastructure. Nagios allows you to detect and repair problems and mitigate future issues before they affect end-users and customers.
- Capabilities to monitor applications, services, operating systems, network protocols, system metrics and infrastructure components
- Powerful script APIs allow easy monitoring of in-house and custom applications, services, and systems
[framed_box bgColor=”#E4F2FF” height=”133″ rounded=”true”]
- Centralized view of entire monitored IT infrastructure
- Detailed status information available through web interface
- Fast detection of infrastructure outages
- Alerts can be delivered to technical staff via email or SMS
- Escalation capabilities ensure alert notifications reach the right people
- Alert acknowledgments provide communication on known issues and problem response
- Event handlers allow automatic restart of failed applications, services, and services
- Trending and capacity planning ensure you’re aware of aging infrastructure
- Scheduled downtime allows for alert suppression during infrastructure upgrades
- Availability reports ensure SLAs are being met
- Historical reports provide record of alerts, notifications, outages, and alert response
- Third-party addons extend reporting capabilities
- Multi-user access to web interface allows stake holders to view infrastructure status
- User-specific views ensures assigned personnel see only their assigned infrastructure components
- Integration with in-house and third-party applications is easy with multiple APIs
- Using hundreds of community-developed addons Tech Proven can extend functionality and versatility of your monitoring needs
Only Stable, Reliable, and Respected Platforms are used for your systems monitoring
- We can Scale to monitor thousands of nodes as needed
- Failover capabilities ensure non-stop monitoring of critical IT infrastructure components
- Open Source Software means Tech Proven can tailor your monitoring solution to fit your needs
- Full access to source code for your perusal.
- Released under the GPL license
Why Tech Proven uses and recommends OpenNMS
Get the Network to Work® with OpenNMS!
OpenNMS is the world’s first enterprise grade network management application platform developed under the open source model.
Well, what does that mean?
- World’s First: The OpenNMS Project was started in July of 1999 and registered on SourceForge in March of 2000. It has years of experience on the alternatives.
- Enterprise Grade: It was designed from “day one” to monitor tens of thousands to ultimately unlimited devices with a single instance. It brings the power, scalability and flexibility that enterprises and carriers demand.
- Application Platform: While OpenNMS is useful “out of the box,”it is designed to be highly customizable to create an unique and integrated management solution.
- Open Source: OpenNMS is 100% Free and Open Source software, with no license fees, software subscriptions or special “enterprise” versions.
OpenNMS is an award winning network management application platform with a long track record of providing solutions for enterprises and carriers.
While the features list is long and constantly growing, they can be divided into four main areas.
Automated and Directed Discovery
Simply point OpenNMS at your network and it will discover the network services being provided. Or, if you prefer a fine-grained control over what is being managed, opt to provision devices manually. If you want, you can even have a combination of the two.
OpenNMS was started during a time when Service Level Agreements (SLAs) were the focus of much management effort. The application comes with a large number of service monitors that perform synthetic transactions ranging from a simple ICMP request (ping) or port check, up through complex website monitoring and round trip e-mail testing.
Detailed reports can be generated on the availability of the services, and it is extremely easy to customize polling rates as well as to configure scheduled downtime.
Event and Notification Management
OpenNMS can generate its own events or receive events from outside sources, such as SNMP Traps, syslog or TL/1. It is even easy to send custom events to OpenNMS: simply connect to a TCP port and, if you have permission, sent some XML-formatted text.
OpenNMS can serve as the central repository for your network event stream. Able to handle bursts of thousands of events per second, OpenNMS also has a number of correlation methods to automatically clear events, translate one event into another, a reduce duplicate events into one alarm.
Once the important events have been identified, they can generate notices or trouble tickets. Any command that can be executed from the OpenNMS server command line can be used to send notifications (such as an e-mail or an SMS) and OpenNMS has a trouble ticketing API that allows it to have bidirectional communication with many popular trouble ticketing systems.
There are a number of data collectors within OpenNMS, including support for the SNMP and JMX protocols. The HTTP collector can retrieve any web page and use regular expressions to extract values, so extending an application to integrate with OpenNMS can be as simple as writing a text file that can be accessed by a web server.
All data stored can be tested against thresholds, not only the usual “high” and “low” thresholds but ones that trigger based on a relative or absolute value change. These thresholds can generate events to be managed by the event and notification system.
Performance data can be graphed, and “Top N” reports can be generated to easily identify problem areas within the network.
This is a very high-level overview of the OpenNMS application. Get it, install it and explore to see just how powerful, flexible and scalable the application can be.